Before Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, there were Anaximander’s opposites (hot/cold, good/evil, wet/dry), which where brought into unity by Heraclitus: “The road up and the road down are the same thing.” Being awarded The Versatile Blogger Award (many thanks to ToKillAHammingBird for the nomination!!) requires me to tell you 7 things about myself. But there are so many versions of ‘self’ that 7 things can be strategically used to describe. Who do I want to be to you? But no, that’s too easy. I’ve always been a woman of extremes, no nebulous middle ground, and I’m going to allow you to know me at my most honest – and therefore by my opposites: Good Girl …versus… Bad Girl. The Greeks were fearless of ideas. This freedom has been their greatest gift to history. And when you are fearless in who you are, your own history begins to make a lot more sense.
1) Requisite ‘good girl’ volunteering, plus earned full scholarships and A++ ave in high school & university …versus… Dropped out to play (briefly) in the _ _ _ industry and to work (permanently) as a Thinker/Writer/Designer
2) Won fashion (and industrial) design awards, commissions, and designed and hand-stitched my wedding dress …versus… Last ten years could be defined as a tragic series of ugly hand-me-down pants
3) Have accessorized said pants with running shoes, baseball cap, and ponytail 23/7 …versus… Harley Davidson boots other 1/7, with all manner of debauchery above my thigh-high fishnets
4) Match all my man’s socks as soon as they come out of the drier …versus… Have resorted to buying paper plates and plastic cutlery after ignoring the dishes for weeks (ok… so once it was a whole month)
5) Work diligently 9 to 5 rolling paper (don’t ask) and doing academic research on ‘the evolution of ideas’ …versus… My infamous 3 am ‘field testing’
6) Have a deeply Christian faith (with new philosophical proof that would leave Aquinas shaking in his sandals) …versus… Once wrote an essay on cheese being the highest expression of human spirituality
7) If you break my heart you won’t shake my faith in love …versus… But I will have to kill you.
The Versatile Blogger Award also asks that I nominate 15 other bloggers for the next round:
Shoeism ~ HitchhikingColorado ~ TheMusicType ~ LivingDilbert ~ AFireworkInProgress ~ BlueHouseRecords ~ MagicAndMarvels ~ AdventuresAspirations”Aha”Moments ~ Sewbon ~ TheBlondeAlarmist ~ Bun81Bridge ~ BareKnuckleWriter ~ TheStoryShack ~ BalconyViews ~AdventuresInWiferyAndOther…
8 thoughts on “The Versatile Blogger Award goes Greek when a ‘good-girl-bad-girl’ reveals all!”
I really appreciate the kind words and thoughts 🙂 thank you
Truly appreciated, thank you!
My pleasure ~ You guys deserve it!
Interesting and insightful list. But what was the industry mentioned in Item #1? Enquiring minds want to know 🙂
No doubt they do! But the good girl in me can’t very well let my bad girl self go around ‘spelling’ out all her secrets 😉
A powerful teasing and evocative piece of writing – that reveals that we are not all that we may initially suggest on first glance, with a complexity that delights! Bravo!
Thank You Lynn! I came up with so many variations of ‘7 things’ – some cutesy, some witty (I like to think lol), some deep, some dark – before realizing the only real possibility was the one above. Risky? Perchance. But writing without risk is like loving without risk… a waste of everybody’s time.
Pingback: So hard to pick a toothpaste when all patterns end in sex or death | Blank Canvas Living